Followers

Wednesday 24 September 2014

"VonPappe Wednesday" 1

Woohoo! Servus, hi and welcome to the first edition of a new monthly feature!

Claudia here, bringing to you what I dare call "VonPappe Wednesday" (as "VonPappe" is my blog's name by which most people know me and because it will be on one Wednesday per month that I will try to provide That Craft Place readers, players and followers with an exclusive project tutorial - focussing on stuff from Lisa - my fab boss and store owner's shop of course ;).



I sometimes get asked if my first name is "Von" as it appears in "VonPappe" - but actually "von Pappe" is German and means "made from cardboard" (and when you say in German that something or someone "is not made from cardboard" you mean that  it or that person must not be underestimated).

But enough introductional blurb - let's directly head on to the tutorial I promised to share with you!

I focussed mainly on the fabulous new MDF and chipboard laser cuts that are an exclusive design by Lisa and real cool stuff. I love that they are so sturdy as it gives lovely dimension and you can also add heavier or bulkier objects to them without any warping!

I started with one of her awesome ATC Shapes - Tickets and one little house shape from a grab bag with arrows and house shapes.



Additional materials I used with my project:

- DecoArt media white Crackle Paint
- DecoArt media fluid acrylic "Cobalt Teal Hue", "Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide"
- DecoArt matte Decou-Page
- DecoArt media black Gesso
- soft brush, scissors, palette knife, black and brown markers
- a vintage button
- old dictionary page
- washi tapes
- designer papers
- chit chat or other word stickers


https://decoart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=D&Category_Code=FAMM



Most of this stuff can be bought with either the That Craft Place Online Shop or the That Craft Place facebook group!


To create this...




...use the ATC laser cut as a mask and cut out its exact shape from an old dictionary or book page:





Cover the MDF ATC with the cut to size dictionary scrap. Diluting the Decou-page with a little water helps smoothing out rather thin papers when glueing them onto a surface. Always use a soft brush for this and spread from center to edge!




Cover the house shape and the edges of the ATC with black Gesso. For the ATC's edges I used my fingertip and tried to work rather "messy". For the house I used a small brush.



 While you set both aside to dry, mix a very small amount of white Crackle Paint and four to five drops of the Cobalt Teal Hue fluid acrylic with a palette knife.




Apply to the ATC by scraping it on with the palette knife. That way you get awesomely looking random shapes! For applying the tinted crackle paint to the house you can either use the palette knife or a small soft brush.




Make a light wash of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide and sprinkle onto the ATC with a loaded brush. Let dry.






While the crackle paint needs a bit of time to do its magic, browse your designer papers for patterns that match a hill (for the house to stand on) and a roof. Cut out and glue in place with the matte Decou-page. Add some washi tape and doodling if you wish to do so.




I used a yellow-ish vintage button as my sun. The Decou-page is perfect for glueing it to the ATC! Just use plenty and give it time to dry thoroughly.




Finish off with some doodling with a black permanent marker.




I also added a small vintage portrait before I glued the house in place. Then I added some chit chat stickers and blended them in with Distress markers.




Done!





See the lovely crackles?




Don't be afraid of unevenly painted edges or visible fingerprints - all of this adds to that distressed and worn feel of the ATC and helps grunge up your creation!




I hope you like my little ATC and leave That Craft Place inspired! Don't miss the actual challenge - Sentimental - that is still open for another week! The DT have created loads of awesome inspiration for you! Go have a look HERE!

Hope to see you stop by That Craft Place again soon!
Hugs and happy crafting,

Claudia x

https://www.facebook.com/login.php?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2F271008489659989%2F









12 comments:

01 09 10